As I learned today, I must have at least one final outcome from all my recent studio work hung up for display by next week. With that in mind, I began to work on my masks:
First, I painted my first mask to resemble a victim of a fire. I had to look at examples of burnt victims and charred skin as context, and most of them were hard to look at. Still, I think my painting came out very well, with the paper mache mixing well with the paint.
I then began work on my second mask:
My next mask work was my most ambitious: smearing chocolate icing all over my third mask, in order to make it look like someone with a tumor growing on his face.
Unfortunately, the icing was too smooth and not lumpy enough. I hate spending my money, but I’ve wanted to use icing in my work ever since the critique with my helmet. It was a nice attempt, even thought the results were not to my liking.
Eventually, I decided to buy two more masks for more possible outcomes. While I still don’t know what to do with the fifth mask, I tried my tumor art with plaster cast instead of icing. I should have used plaster in the first place, because it’s free and it has the perfect, lumpy texture for a tumor.
Afterwards, once the plaster has dried, I removed the residue from the bucket and this came out:
In addition to my mask work, I also finished my Actors gallery (RIP) and hung it on my wall:
Overall, it was a another productive day. I just need to think long and hard about my final outcome for next week. I also need to bring in more drawing equipment for this Thursday’s drawing project.